brockville, war, 1812, canada

Brockville, Prescott & Area

Brockville (originally Elizabethtown) is the oldest incorporated city in the Province of Ontario. Its present name was chosen as a patriotic act in the summer of 1812 to honour the great commander General Brock. Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, memorialized as one of Canada's outstanding military heroes, is commemorated with a plaque at St Peter Port Church on the Isle of Guernsey where he was born. He entered the British Army in 1785 and, in 1802, he was posted to Canada with his regiment. In 1811, just prior to the outbreak of War, Brock became President of the Executive Council and Administrator of Upper Canada (Ontario). He rapidly organized the defence of the new colony. His leadership culminated in the capture of Detroit. General Brock was killed at the Battle of Queenston Heights, 1812, and he is buried on the battlefield.

 

During the war, Brockville was attacked by a force of 200 regulars and militia from Morristown who came across the frozen St Lawrence River (February, 1813). The detachment was led by Major Benjamin Forsyth of the United States Army. The village was garrisoned by a company of Leeds militia who, taken by surprise, could offer no resistance. The raiders released prisoners from the jail, took a quantity of arms, horses and cattle, and carried off a number of residents. The resentment aroused by this raid led to the successful British attack on Ogdensburg a fortnight later.

 

Gananoque played an essential role as a forwarding point on the supply line moving along the upper St Lawrence River from Montreal and Cornwall to Kingston. An incursion of regulars and militia led by the Captain Forsyth of the 1st US Rifle regiment made an attack here (September 1812). A detachment of the 2nd Leeds militia, under Colonel Joel Stone, offered some resistance, but withdrew its force of two subalterns and about 40 soldiers. American forces seized the stores, burned the government depot, and withdrew.

 

Parks Canada and the citizens of Prescott, the "Fort Town", proudly conserve Fort Wellington National Historic Site. Like Fort Henry, the current fort was built later (1837) on the ruins of the original fort that was used in the War of 1812, along with a shore battery by the river, to defend this area’s part of the St Lawrence River supply route. Prescott is home to a British military hospital and barracks (one of the earliest surviving military buildings in Ontario). Colonel Edward Jessup, the founder of the community, and many disbanded members of Jessup’s Rangers settled in Leeds and Grenville Counties, 1784. Colonel Jessup was the first leader of the local militia.

 

Prescott keeps alive the heroic and spontaneous action of the Glengarry Light Infantry, whose impulsive leader, Lieutenant-Colonel “Red George” Macdonell led a force of 480 regulars and militia over the frozen St Lawrence River (against artillery) and captured the military post at Ogdensburg, February 1813. The attack was made in response to the recent raid on Brockville; however, it was contrary to the orders of Sir George Prevost, Captain General and Governor in Chief of British North America. Advancing across the ice in two columns, Macdonell's right column presented an easy target for the enemy artillery, but after a fierce fight, the reinforced left column forced the American rifle regiment to withdraw. American military stores were captured and the schooners burned. This successful assault across the ice ended the occupation of Ogdensburg by American forces for the remainder of the war and it helped make secure the St Lawrence supply link between Upper (Ontario) and Lower Canada (Quebec).

 

Today, Brockville, along with Gananoque and Kingston are three major gateways to the celebrated international Thousand Islands region of the St Lawrence River; known by First Nations as The Garden of the Great Spirit. In waterways used by American and British warships in the War of 1812, Canada’s smallest national park (1904) preserves these exquisite islands which are a tiny land bridge uniting the immense Canadian Shield and the Adirondack Mountains of the eastern United States and Canada.

Brockville, Prescott et Environs

Brockville (originalement Elizabethown) est la plus vielle ville constitué en société commercial en Ontario. Le nom Brockville été choisi en l’été 1812 pour honorer le général Brock. Major général Sir Isaac Brock a rejoint l’armée en 1785 et en 1802, était expédié au Canada avec son régiment. En 1811, Brock est devenu président du Conseil exécutif et administrateur du Haut-Canada. Rapidement, Brock a organisé la défense du Haut Canada. Ses qualités du chef ont abouti à la capture de Détroit. Général Brock était tué dans la bataille de Queenston heights, 1812, et il est et il est enterré sur le champ de bataille.

Pendant la guerre, Brockville est attaqué par une force de 200 réguliers et la milice du Morristown qui ont traversé le fleuve St. Laurent (Février 1813). Les soldats ont étés commandés par Major Benjamin Forsyth de l’armée des États Unis. Brockville était protégé par le Leeds milice, mais ils étaient prise par surpris et ne pouvaient pas protégé le ville. Les agresseurs libéré les prisonniers de la prison, a pris une quantité d'armes, de chevaux et de bétail, et emporté un certain nombre de résidents. Au cause de cet attaque, les soldats du Fort Wellington on attaqué Ogdensburg deux semaines plus tard.

Gananoque ont joué un rôle essential sur la ligne de transportation, le fleuve St. Laurent, entre Montréal et Kingston. Major Forsyth ont attaqué Gananoque aussi avec ses réguliers et la milice en Septembre 1812. La milice Leeds, commandé par Joel Stone, offert une résistance, mais ils été accablé. Les forces Américaines saisi les magasins, brûler le dépôt gouvernement, et se retira.

Parcs Canada, et les citoyens du Prescott, protégé Fort Wellington, un lieu historique nationale. Comme Fort Henry, le fort qui reste aujourd’hui était construit en 1837, sur les vestiges du fort original utilisés pendant la guerre de 1812. Prescott est aussi la location d’un hôpital militaire et une caserne. Colonel Edward Jessup, le fondateur de la communauté, et les autres membres des gardiens Jessup, s’installées dans les comtés Leeds Grenville en 1784. Colonel Jessup était le premier chef de la milice locale. 

Lieutenant-Colonel ‘Rouge’ George Macdonell ont commandé une force de 480 réguliers et milice à travers le fleuve St. Laurent en Février 1813, et ont capturé la poste militaire en Ogdensburg. L’attaque était une réponse au la raid sur Brockville, mais c’était contre les ordres de Sir George Prevost, Capitaine Général et gouverneur en chef du Amérique du Nord Britannique. Ils ont traversé le fleuve en deux colonnes, la colonne à droit (avec Macdonell) étaient attaquer par artillerie Américaine, mais après une bagarre intense les Américaines ses retirés. Les dépôts américaines étaient capturés et les schooners brûlés. L’attaque a réussite et après l’attaque, la ligne de transportation le fleuve st. Laurent est fixe entre haut et bas Canada.    

Aujourd’hui, Brockville, Gananoque et Kingston est les trois villes le plus grandes en la région des milles îles, en le fleuve st. Laurent. Le plus petit parc national du Canada conserve ces îles magnifiques qui sont un pont de terre minuscule unissant le Bouclier canadien et les immenses montagnes Adirondack de l'est des États-Unis et Canada. 

© 2013   Created by The Alliance.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service