war, 1812, kingston

Kingston & Area

Fort Henry at Kingston, today a National Historic Site, rests on the point that was first fortified in late 1812 to provide protection to the dockyard on Point Frederick (current site of the Royal Military College of Canada). Kingston was home to the Provincial Marine, 1784 to 1813, and to the Royal Navy, 1813 to 1830s. In the spring of 1814, the dockyard was transferred from the Quartermaster General’s Department to the Royal Navy and became an official Royal Navy station. Several warships were constructed there, including the largest warship to serve on the lakes, HMS St Lawrence.

 

As the naval base, Kingston, at the head of Lake Ontario and at the western end of the River, was involved in countering actions from the American naval centre at Sackets Harbor. After the war, Fort Henry was built (completed 1832) as a military linchpin at the intersection of the three strategic waterways which meet here: the Rideau Canal, the St Lawrence River, and Lake Ontario. Fort Henry is the largest fortification west of Quebec City.

 

The incident at Bath is a colourful illustration of naval action occurring here during the War of 1812. In November 1812, the British corvette Royal George (22 guns), commanded by Commodore Earle, was intercepted off False Duck Islands by a seven-ship fleet under Commodore Chauncey. While pursued, the Royal George escaped through a gap between Amherst Island and the eastern tip of Prince Edward County into the Bay of Quinte's north channel. The chase resumed in light winds the following day when the Royal George arrived safely in Kingston harbour. Chauncey, intent on capturing the largest British warship then on Lake Ontario, attacked her in the harbour, but withdrew after exchanging fire with the Royal George and with shore batteries.

 

In the aftermath of the War of 1812, the Rideau Canal was built for strategic military purposes as a supply line to defend Canada (completed 1832). It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site (along with Fort Henry and the Kingston fortifications) and is recognized as the best-preserved example of a slackwater canal in North America. The canal runs from Kingston Harbour and follows the Rideau River Valley to Ottawa.

 

The Rideau Military Settlements were established (1816-1822) for demobilized soldiers and British emigrants in the townships adjacent to Perth, Lanark and Richmond. The first military depot was based in Perth. This loyal population received free land grants in return for future defence and protection of Upper Canada. Scottish emigrants were quartered in the barracks at Brockville during the winter of 1815-16 until the survey of the settlement was completed. The soldiers discharged from units, such as the Glengarry Light Infantry and the Swiss regiments of De Meuron and De Watteville, formed a majority of the original settlers. However, the soldiers and family members also came from many diverse demobilized units and from many countries in continental Europe. In large part, the demobilized officers of the units were settled in Perth.

 

HMS Radcliff, built in 1817, was the last ship of war built on the Great Lakes at Kingston’s dockyards.

Kingston et Environs

Fort Henry en Kingston, aujourd’hui un lieu historique national, est située sur le même point qui était premièrement fortifiée en 1812 pour protéger le chantier naval sur Point Frederick (aujourd’hui la location du Collège Royale Militaire).  Kingston était la résidence de la marine provinciale, 1784 à 1813, et la marine royale, 1813 aux les années 1830. Pendant le printemps du 1814, le chantier navale était transféré dès la département du intendant général au la marine royale et devenu une station official de la marine royale. Plusieurs navires étaient construits là, comme le plus grand navire sur les lacs, HMS St. Lawrence.

 

Kingston était une base navale, située au début du lac Ontario et au parti ouest du fleuve st. Laurent, et était impliqué en contrer les actions de la base navale américaine, en Sackets Harbor. Après la guerre, Fort Henry était construit (compléter par 1832) pour protéger la intersection des trois voies stratégiques; le canal Rideau, le fleuve st. Laurent, et le lac Ontario. Fort Henry est le plus grande fortification ouest de la ville de Québec.

 

L’incident à Bath, Ontario est une illustration de l’action navale que se passe ici pendant la guerre de 1812. En novembre, 1812, la navire britannique le Royal George (22 canons), commandé par contre-amiral Earle, était interceptés proche de l’îles False Duck par un flotte de 7 navires, commandé par contre-amiral Chauncey. Le Royal George a échappé à travers un intervalle entre l’île Amherst et le point d’est du comté Prince Edward dans le golfe de Quinte. La chasse a repris le lendemain, quand le Royal George a arrivé sains et saufs au port du Kingston. Chauncey avait l’intention de capturer le Royal George, et a l’attaqué le navire dans le port, mais retiré après être tiré sur par le Royal George et les batteries côtières.

 

Après la guerre de 1812, le canal Rideau était construit pour les raisons militaires comme une ligne pour des provisions pour défendre Canada (complète en 1832). C’est aujourd’hui une un site du patrimoine mondial UNESCO (avec Fort Henry et les fortifications en Kingston) et est reconnu comme l'exemple le mieux préservé d’un canal à plans d'eau en la Nord Amérique. Le canal commence en le port de Kingston et fini au Ottawa.  

 

Les colonies du Rideau militaire étaient établies (1816-1822) pour les soldats et émigrants Britanniques dans les comtés adjacents de Perth, Lanark et Richmond. Le premier dépôt militaire était en Perth. Cette population fidèle a reçu les concessions de terre libre en échange pour la défense et la protection du Haut-Canada. Les émigrants Écossais étaient logés dans les casernes en Brockville pendant l’hiver de 1815-1816 jusqu'aux l’enquête de la colonie a été complété. Les soldats provenaient des régiments comme le Glengarry Light Infantry et les régiments Suisse De Meuron et De Watteville, étaient le plupart de la population dans les colonies originalement. Cependant, les soldats et les familles des soldats provenaient de beaucoup des régiments et pays diverses en Europe. Pour le plupart, les officiers des régiments vivaient dans Perth. 

 

Le HMS Radcliff, construit en 1817, était la dernière navire de guerre construit pour les grands lacs au les chantiers navales en Kingston. 

 

© 2013   Created by The Alliance.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service